The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program places over 800 members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
Location: Shift is headquartered in San Francisco, but the Defense Ventures Team is primarily remote. We are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States, but we have strong preferences for San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, and Austin, TX. Once it is safe to travel, there will be some travel required, and you should expect to travel for the program and co-location workshops for approximately 6 weeks of the year.
You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market. In 2021, we will be placing ~200 employees of the Department of Defense at top technology and venture capital companies across the country.
We will be looking to you to be the teacher of our Defense Ventures team, responsible for developing how we deliver and compound learning prior to, during, and after this experiential professional development experience. We are looking for someone who has deep understanding and experience across the major components of curriculum and course design, as well as expertise with learning and development, and is looking for a growth opportunity to build a curriculum design function from the ground up.
- Assist the development and execution of admissions to the Program, including application evaluations.
- Partner with our Assessment and Admissions team to create a dynamic and constantly evolving picture of our applicants and alumni.
- Identify, design and plan lessons and events that drive learning across our curriculum focus areas
- Assess the needs and learning objectives of cohorts and specific fellows, create the learning environment and content materials, apply the training whilst measuring the effectiveness of the curriculum
- Recommend teaching techniques for cohorts and the utilization of new technologies.
- Stay current on most recent subject area strategies, trends and initiatives
Learning Management, Accessibility and Delivery
- Demonstrate and utilize effective needs analysis, project management, course development, and evaluation skills
- Manage our Learning Management System (used to deliver learning and capture performance and feedback on our curriculum), which is currently Docebo, among other systems
- Work closely with our Community director and program coordinator to set up and systemize the onboarding processes for fellows during their immersion experiences to ensure they are able to hit the ground running
- Independently develop entry and advanced-level courses for cohorts
- Utilize multimedia technology and authoring tools
- Develop, test, and revise curriculum and instructional standards to drive the creation of outcomes-based and objectives-focused courseware
Qualified candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Practical teaching experience desired
- Demonstrated understanding and experience (5-7 years) in successfully designing, delivering learning: curriculum design, learning and development, course development, training delivery/facilitation
- Track record in working with Learning Management Systems (Docebo preferred)
- Strong understanding of instructional design approaches and adult learning theory to build programs that are effective and engaging
- Experience developing and executing instruction leveraging digital products
- Ability to deliver excellence in learning program design and learning project management skills, ranging from analysis and strategy through development and implementation
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts concisely and clearly
- Knowledge of Agile methodology
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive and meet deadlines in an energetic, fast-paced and sometimes non-linear environment
- Reliable and collaborative, a promoter of inclusivity and diversity
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Perks + Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.