The Defense Ventures Team
Shift’s Defense Ventures team is on a four-year mission to create the best in class industry immersion upskilling experience for employees of the U.S. Military. Our program places over 800 members of the Department of Defense, in the midst of their career, into leading venture capital and technology businesses across Silicon Valley and the United States. We are using these experiences to develop a talent platform that will allow us to assess, select, and track emerging innovators through the program and beyond.
Location: Shift is headquartered in San Francisco, but the Defense Ventures Team is primarily remote. We are open to candidates based anywhere in the United States, but we have strong preferences for San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, and Austin, TX. Once it is safe to travel, there will be some travel required, and you should expect to travel for the program and co-location workshops for approximately 6 weeks of the year.
You will join a team of innovators, builders and operators who are defining new products and services, working together to define the value proposition and bring them to market. In 2021, we will be placing ~200 employees of the Department of Defense at top technology and venture capital companies across the country.
Serving as the key partner to our Program Manager and VP of Growth, we will be looking to you to be our Storyteller; to assist in creating and executing compelling communication strategies that explain our services and grow our user and partner audience by telling stories about how our program is changing the lives and businesses of those who participate in the program.
- Campaign Planning. Define how we use marketing and communications to engage our two core audiences, current and former members of the U.S. military, and our corporate and government partners.
- Campaign Execution. Lead the development, execution, and analysis of marketing campaigns across channels including product, email, our digital assets, partnerships, and paid marketing, as well as coordination across the business on public relations, product launches, and community engagement initiatives. We’ll need you to develop insights and analysis to tell the story of the success and impact of our campaigns.
- Storytelling. Identify new opportunities to communicate and tell the story of our career development mission with new users across in person, digital and written mediums, along with ways to elicit feedback. Make sure our Website is awesome.
- Content Generation. Coordinate the development of production ready content and enable the creation and promotion of user-generated content within our community platform and across our social media channels.
- Community Building: Work with our community team to identify and create ways to engage with and inspire an internal community of Shift’s membership.
- Manage Third Parties. Work the VP of Growth to engage with creative agencies, in-house design teams and other communication partners to tell our story.
Qualified candidates should have/be:
- Demonstrated experience (at least 3-5+ years) in managing and delivering creative marketing and communications programs and campaigns across a variety of channels.
- Versed in best in class approaches as well as trends within marketing, communications and social media.
- Experience with federal business practices, the US military, and/or venture capital organizations preferred.
- Proven ability to strategically and tactically evaluate and implement sophisticated programs and initiatives.
- Highly responsible, self-motivated, and able to thrive and meet deadlines in an energetic, fast-paced and sometimes non-linear environment.
- The ability to practice empathy and translate that into aspiration and potential through human centered stories.
- Strong business consulting acumen, including dynamic problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Experience translating data and analytics to develop insights, tell stories, drive decisions and measure impact
- Reliable team member that raises the performance of others across all levels of the organization.
- A self-confident, friendly style that engages and positively impacts individuals and groups .
- A change agent that possesses the ability to address challenging situations.
- A promoter and champion of diversity initiatives.
Founded in 2016 and based in San Francisco, California, Shift is a labor marketplace for current and former members of the U.S. Military to discover careers, acquire and demonstrate new skills, and embark upon new job experiences at the best companies in the United States. From active duty service members in the midst of their military career to veterans who have made the transition to civilian life, Shift’s community platform allows its members to engage in career development services that keep them competitive in the current and future economy. Shift’s talent acquisition services provide our corporate partners with a talent pipeline of diverse, non-traditional, experienced and prepared candidates. Shift is a veteran-founded small business backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Expa, and Structure Capital.
Perks + Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO and HMO plans. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.